The Ellis County Appraisal District is responsible for accurately valuing the houses in Ellis County. Overall, the average, or an ideal fair market value, should be extremely close to 100%. This is also called the median. The median is what defines the middle value. In real estate, this value is what the other market values compare to. The houses might be above or below the median market value. In 2020, the median assessed value from the Ellis County Appraisal District for houses in Ellis County was 100%. This was based on a ratio study of 3,749 house sales prepared by O’Connor in 2019 and 2020.
Is that 100%? Close, but not extremely close.
Most Houses are Not Valued Accurately in Ellis County
Check this out.
Out of a study of the 3,749 houses, many houses were far above and below the median value that they are supposed to be at. Here are some facts that were pulled from this study.
- 1,825 houses were assessed below 100% (that is over 48.6%)
- 51.3% of houses were assessed above 100% (that is 1,924 houses)
Of the 1,924 houses above market value:
- 557 houses (14.88%) were more than 110% of market value
- 296 houses (7.89%) were above 120%
- 222 houses (5.92%) were assessed at more than 130% of market value
In other words, 5.92% of the houses assessed by the Ellis County Appraisal District were valued at 30% MORE than what they should be.
This means that you might have one of the houses in that 5.92% that could be paying more property tax than you need to be.
How Can You Make Sure You Are Not Overtaxed?
Ellis County property owners are strongly encouraged to reduce their property taxes by appealing property taxes annually. There is no cost to file a protest with the Ellis County Appraisal District. The normal protest deadline is May 15th.
There are many advantages to appealing property taxes including:
- Reducing your property taxes about 60 to 70% of the time
- Obtaining the Ellis County Appraisal District hearing evidence file to determine if your property is accurately described
- Staying current with the true value of your home based on reviewing comparable sales in the Ellis County Appraisal District evidence package.
No Risk Option for Tax Appeals; Pay Only for Results
Lucky for you, O’Connor can protest your property taxes without any upfront fee or cost. The only fee is a part of the savings in the years we successfully protest your property taxes. O’Connor is the largest property tax consultant in the U.S. We have been helping the owners of over 205,000 properties reduce their annual property taxes.
Are you someone who is overpaying? “Residential property tax appeals with no upfront fees or costs, Click here”
For information on the property taxes savings generated by tax appeals of Ellis County appraisal District valuations, Ellis County appraisal district facts and figures, click here