Sec. 2303.003. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) “Bank” means the Texas Economic Development Bank established under Chapter 489.
(1-a) “Block group” has the meaning assigned by the Bureau of the Census of the United States Department of Commerce.
(1-b) “Day” means the period between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. of a day other than a Saturday, Sunday, or state or federal holiday.
(1-c) “Distressed county” means a county:
(A) that has a poverty rate above 15.4 percent;
(B) in which at least 25.4 percent of the adult population does not hold a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate; and
(C) that has an unemployment rate that has remained above 4.9 percent during the preceding five years.
(2) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 814, Sec. 6.01(6).
(3) “Enterprise zone” means an area designated as an enterprise zone under this chapter.
(3-a) “Governing body of an enterprise zone” means the governing body of a municipality or county in which an enterprise zone is located.
(4) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 814, Sec. 6.01(6).
(5) “Nominating body” means the governing body of a municipality or county that nominates a project or activity of a qualified business for designation as an enterprise project.
(5-a) “Office” means the Texas Economic Development and Tourism Office within the office of the governor.
(6) “Qualified business” means a person certified as a qualified business under Section 2303.402.
(6-a) “Qualified business site” means the specific business site of an enterprise project.
(7) “Qualified employee” means a person who:
(A) works for a qualified business;
(B) receives wages from the qualified business from which employment taxes are deducted; and
(C) performs at least 50 percent of the person’s service for the business at the qualified business site, or if the person engages in the transportation of goods or services, the person reports to the qualified business site and resides within 50 miles of the qualified business site.
(8) “Qualified hotel project” means a hotel proposed to be constructed by a municipality or a nonprofit municipally sponsored local government corporation created under the Texas Transportation Corporation Act, Chapter 431, Transportation Code, that is within 1,000 feet of a convention center owned by a municipality having a population of 1,500,000 or more, including shops, parking facilities, and any other facilities ancillary to the hotel.
(9) “Veteran” means a person who:
(A) has served in:
(i) the army, navy, air force, coast guard, or marine corps of the United States;
(ii) the state military forces as defined by Section 431.001; or
(iii) an auxiliary service of one of those branches of the armed forces; and
(B) has been honorably discharged from the branch of the service in which the person served.
Added by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 268, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 76, Sec. 5.50, 5.55, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1121, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 814, Sec. 3.01, 6.01(6), eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1243 (H.B. 1659), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1114 (H.B. 3694), Sec. 1, eff. June 15, 2007.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 490 (S.B. 1719), Sec. 1, eff. June 14, 2013.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 802 (S.B. 1548), Sec. 1, eff. June 14, 2013.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 227 (H.B. 1964), Sec. 4, eff. May 29, 2015.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 591 (S.B. 100), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2015.