Texas Property Tax Useful Information
Property taxes are a substantial expense for Texas homeowners, averaging about $3,600 annually. To reduce this expense, property owners should annually review and consider appealing property taxes.
- Property Tax Exemptions – The Texas legislature has provided numerous property tax exemptions for taxpayers. Exemptions for homestead, over 65 homestead, disabled homestead, disabled veteran is just the start.
- Agricultural and Timberland Appraisal – Property taxes for agricultural land and timberland can be cut by well over 90% by obtaining an “ag exemption”. However, there is some controversy over who should qualify.
- Protest and Appeals – If you disagree with the appraisal district’s value or any action of the appraisal district about your property, you may file a protest with the appraisal review board (ARB).
- Property Appraisal – Personal property used for the production of income must be rendered annually and is subject to property taxes in Texas.
- Appraisal Districts – Appraisal districts are charged with equitably valuing all property located within the taxing entities they serve.
- Property Tax Division – The Property Tax Division of the Texas Comptrollers office is responsible for reviewing the work of appraisal districts, compiling property tax laws promulgated by the legislature and more.
- Tax Rates and Tax Rate Rollback Elections – Texas property taxpayers are entitled to notice when taxing units are increasing revenue based on either an increase in tax rates or assessed values.
- Tax Bills and Delinquent Taxes – Texas taxpayers need to carefully monitor and review the tax bills, which need to be paid for each property that they own. Timely payment of Texas property taxes is the best way to avoid penalties.
- Texas Property Taxpayers’ Remedies – While the burden of property taxes is high, Texas property owners have many appeal options.
ENROLL TODAY In the Property Tax Protection Program™
Your property taxes will be aggressively protested every year by the #1 property tax firm in the country. If your taxes are not reduced you PAY NOTHING, and a portion of the tax savings is the only fee you pay when your taxes are reduced! Many FREE benefits come with enrollment.